Twilight Skies Tee

Hello fellow crocheters! It's good to be back after a really long time. Last year I was doing lesser pattern designing and focussing a bit more on Yarn dyeing. It did turn out better than I expected. If fact, it's doing great! This tee was actually made with yarn I dyed myself. This was last year's Yarn Advent Calendar. I actually started working on the top in Oct'22, but was waiting for the right yarn. And this Advent Calendar was just right for what I had in mind.

It is 100% cotton, 4ply/fingering yarn. The base colors are a blue to pink gradient, with some black speckles. Each mini skein is around 20gm, so it's a total of 480 gms. Since I wanted to have 48 rows in the top, I changed colours every 2 rows. This was exactly how I had envisioned it in my head as a completed project. A gradient so smooth that it doesn't look like you changed shades 24 times. And I just love how the speckles worked up. This was the first time I tried speckles and I couldn't be happier!

It turned out exactly how I wanted it to. Fits perfectly. I was really excited to write our the pattern and get it into testing. ❤️ All good huh? That's what I thought.

The problem is, I did not expect that recalculating for other sizes would turn out to be such a huge obstacle! 😅

I did recalculate, but when I wrote it down as a pattern, it was getting too complicated. There was no way I could simplify the written pattern. And honestly, if I had to test a pattern written in that style I would not be very happy! 😂 So I completely scrapped the idea and decided to just put up this size as a free pattern here.

This pattern is written for size M, finished top measures 35 to 35.5 inches around the chest. I used a 3.5mm hook for this top, my swatch of 16dc and 9 rows measured 4 x 4 inches. In case you wish to try this in your size or want to use a differnt yarn, drop a DM on Instagram or Ravelry and I'll help you recalculate for your size/yarn.

Lets get to the pattern now.

This is a beginner friendly pattern, and uses chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st) and double crochet (dc). In this pattern, "V" stitch = "dc, ch1, dc" into the same ch or chain space (ch sp).

Foundation chain - begin by making 92 chs, sl st into the first ch to form a loop. Take care to ensure that the chain is not twisted. 

R1 - ch3, dc into the same ch where you slip stitched. Dc in the next 8 chs, V stitch in next ch, dc in the next 36 chs, V stitch in next ch, dc in the next 8 chs, V stitch in next ch, dc in the next 36 chs, sl st into the ch3 sp in the beginning of the row. 

You will have something that looks like this...

R2 to R17 - ch3, dc in the same ch sp where we made a slip sttich at the end of the previous row. Dc in each dc, & V sts in each ch sp. at end of the row make 1 dc into the sl st of the prevous row, then sl st into the ch 3 space.

The yoke is now complete, when you fold it in half it should look like this. In the next row we will seaparate the sleeves and the body.

R18 - ch 2, dc into the ch1 sp, ch5, dc into the next ch1 sp (we skip all the dc inbetween both these V stitches, they form the sleeve), make 1 dc into each dc till you reach the next ch 1 sp, make 1 dc into the ch1 sp, ch 5, dc into the next ch1 sp, dc till the end of the row. DO NOT MAKE A DC INTO THE SL ST LIKE WE DID IN THE PREVIOUS ROWS. Sl st into the top of the ch2.

R19 - ch3 (or a standing dc), make 1 dc, into each dc and each chain till you reach the end of the row. Sl st into the top of the ch3 (or the standing dc).

R20 - ch3 (or a standing dc), make 1 dc into each dc, sl st into the top of the ch3 (or the standing dc).

After this just keep repeating R20 till you are happy with the height. Once your top is long enough, fasten off and sew in the tails.

Hope you like this pattern, do try it out and let me know what you think. In case you have any probs, do send me a DM on on Instagram or Ravelry and I'll help you out. 

If you liked this pattern and would like to see more like this, follow @madewithlovebydaisy on Instagram. That way you won't miss any new tutorial, pattern or giveaway! If you make this top, share pics with me by tagging me in your posts. Bye for now! I'll see you in my next post.


Happy hooking!

Daisy

Comments

  1. I have been searching for a simple pattern. This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much for sharing 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how simple the instructions are! Thanks for sharing 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a perfect gradient. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment