Crochet Easy Summer Top


Hello my lovely crafters...! Welcome back to my blog. If this is the first time you're coming here, hi there!!! Today I'm gonna be sharing the pattern for this very Easy Summer Top. It's realy so very easy and beginner friendly. This pattern uses only chain, dc & sc.

Before we get started with the pattern, this is a free pattern, you may sell the items you make out of this pattern. You can find the free video tutorial for this top here on my channel. If you'd like to support me and help me create more free patterns, you can buy the PDF here on my Ravelry store for just $2. And of course... Special thanks to my dear friend who helped me ot with the pics... Do check out her Instagram account account here.

NOTE.... Please go through the pattern once before you begin :)

Step 1: CHOOSE YOUR YARN & HOOK

For this top I have used this lovely rainbow yarn by Rosecolor. I have use 3 balls for the top in the pic. And the hook I’m using is a 4mm hook. It’s larger than the recommended size, but I want the stitches to be loose. You can use any yarn & hook you like, just make sure to use a hook that’s larger than the recommended size. 

Step 2: SWATCH & GAUGE

Make a small swatch with the pattern (or just dc) to check your gauge. I’ve made my swatch starting with 25 chains.

Wash it, block it & then measure it. You need to know how many dc’s you have in one inch.

After blocking, my gauge is 12dc in 3 inches. That means 4dc = 1 inch.

Step 3: MEASURE YORSELF

Measure yourself around the widest part of the bust & divide that measurement by 2. That’s how wide we want the front & back pieces to measure.

The top I’ve made is for 36 inches, so I need each piece to measure 18 inches across.

Step 4: CALCULATE THE STITCHES

We already know how many dc’s we have in 1 inch, and also how wide we need each piece to be. We’re going to multiply those 2 numbers to determine how many dc’s we need to have in each piece.

So it’ll be….  ______ no. of dc’s in 1 inch x ______ inches. For my piece the no.s are 4 x 18 = 72 dcs.

That’s the number of dc’s you need to have in each piece. But for our pattern, we need an odd number. So if you got an even number just add one to it. So I end up with 73 dc.

Once you get the total number of dc’s you need, add 2 to it to find out how many chains you need to begin with. So I need to chain a total of 73 + 2 = 75 chains for my pieces.

Step 5: MAKING THE TOP PARTS

Before you begin, let’s make sure we have everything we need ~ Yarn, Hook, Yarn needle, Stitch markers and Scissors

The abbreviations used are as follows:

FC – Foundation Chain

CH – Chain

SC – Single Crochet

DC – Double Crochet

FO – Fasten Off [cut the yarn]

Side 1  –

FC  – chain the no. of chains you calculated in step 4.

R1 – dc in the 4th chain from the hook, make 1 dc in chain till the end of the row. [you should end up with odd number of dc, the ch 3 we skipped in the beginning is also counted as a dc]

R2 – Ch 4, turn, skip the 1st dc [the one from which the ch 4 comes out] and the 2nd dc, make a dc in the 3rd dc. *Ch 1, skip next dc, dc in the next dc*. Repeat what’s between the * till the end of the row. Your very last dc will be on top of the ch 3 we skipped in the beginning of R1.

R3 – Ch 3, turn, skip the very 1st dc, 1 dc into the next dc. 1 dc in each dc till the end of the row. The last dc will be on top of the ch 3.

Keep repeating rows 2 & 3 as long as you want the top to be, make sure you end on a ch1, dc row. DO NOT FO. Keep in mind that some yarns are more stretchy than others. I want my top to measure 22 inches, but since my yarn stretches a lot, I’m stopping when it measures 21 inches.

Next we are going to shape the neck. First measure around your head, we need the neck opening to be wide enough to fit the head! Now divide that by 2. I need my neck opening to be 20 inches, divided by 2 would be 10. Since my yarn is stretchy I’m only going to leave a gap of 8 inches.

Take your stitch markers, and place them so that you have the required number of stitches are centered. I have 8 inches marked in the middle, with 5 inches on each side.

Continue working without cutting the yarn, ch3, turn, skip the 1st dc, 1 dc into next dc. Make 1 dc in each dc till you reach the 1st stitch marker. Make 1 dc into the stitch where the marker is & FO.

Now attach the yarn into the stitch where the next marker is placed with a dc. Dc in each stitch till the end of the row. FO. This last row we made will form the shoulders.


Make side 2 exactly the same way as side 1.

Step 6 : ATTACHING THE PIECES

Decide which side you want as the right side, placing right sides facing each other, place stitch markers along the sides and shoulders.

We’ll join the shoulder seems first. Count the number of stitches, you should have the same number of stitches in both sides on both pieces. Attach yarn on one side with an sc, sc across one shoulder. Now repeat that on the other shoulder.

We will attach the side seems next, leaving an opening for the arm hole. Measure around your arm to know how big you need the armhole to be. Divide that by 2. I need my armhole opening to be 14 inches, divided by 2 is 7 inches. Now measure along the side from the shoulder seem, and place a stitch marker. Since my yarn is stretchy, I’m only marking 6 inches instead of 7. Count the number of rows, and place a stitch marker in the same row on the other side. Now attach the yarn with an sc,  we will be working along the side of the rows, make 2 sc along the side of each row, you’ll begin at the stitch where the stitch marker is and work towards the bottom of the top. Attach the other side in the same way.

Step 7: FINISHING

This step is optional. Make an edging along the neckline & armhole.



I’m using a shell edging. This is the pattern - Ch 3, make a dc into the 3rd ch from the hook, that’s one shell.

When you are working along “dc, ch 1, dc” row, slip stitch into the dc, make 1 shell, skip the ch 1 space and slip stitch into the next dc.

When you are working along the sides of the rows, make 1 shell along the side of each row. Now your top is ready. I really hope you enjoyed making this pattern. 


Do share your works with me on Instagram by tagging @madewithlovebydaisy. Follow me to get updates on new patterns & giveaways. Check out my other tutorials on my YouTube channel Made With Love By Daisy. Subscribe & hit that little bell button to get notifications on new videos.

Happy Hooking...!

Daisy

Comments

  1. So simple and quick to make! I'll definitely be making this one 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Do share your pics with me by tagging @madewithlovebydaisy on Instagram

      Delete

Post a Comment