The Surprise Square Motif Project

Hello fellow hookers! Hope this pandemic has been treating you kindly! The only bright side is, my yarn stash was big enough to keep me busy (or should I say distracted?). And while organizing my stash, I discovered a pack of colorful emberoidery floss.

That's 50 assorted colors, 2 of each, making a total of 100 pieces! There is something about this colorful stuff that reminds me of candyland! And obviously, the first thing I could think of was doing a crochet project with them. I've picked an easy motif, that uses exactly 2 skeins per square along with a 1.75mm hook.

All I know for now is, I'm gonna end up with 50 squares, one of each color! I haven't decided what to do with all of them. I'm gonna just go with it. I will keep editing this post as things progress. Here's a the pattern I'm using for this project.

EDIT - Aug 07

The pack is already divided into warm and cool colors on each side. So I've decided to make a 5 x 5 square with the cool colors first. 

Maybe I'll split this into 2 mini projects, turn them into a table centre piece or something similar.

EDIT - Aug 08

I've made 10 squares so far. And one of the main things I have noticed is that, some colors are a little thicker than others. As a result, all the squares are not exactly the same size. Each square measures somewhere around 3.25 inches to 3.5 inches. My piece of 5 x 2 squares currently measures 16.5 inches x 6.5 inches.

EDIT - Aug 09

I have completed 3 rows . I'm currently doing repeats of blue, brown, green [starting from top right]. I like how they look random but have a slight discipline about them. Hopefully I can continue this repeat throughout without running out of any particular shade. I might have to plan ahead with the remaining colors instead of randomly picking them.

Speaking of colors, I have now noitced that the darker colors are thicker than the lighter colors. I'm not really sure why though. I'm guessing it has something to do with how they are dyed. But since the dark and light colors are distributed evenly aound the project, the difference in thicknes is not affecting my overall gauge. 

EDIT - Aug 10

Mum - "Are you making a bag?"

Me - "Yes! Yes I am making a bag!"

So yeah... I guess I've decided what to do [finally!]. And considering I'll have 2 squares of the same size, a bag now looks very very tempting. Now I just need to find a tote bag thats the right size so I can use it as a lining! The plus in doing that is, it'll already have a handle, so I needn't brreak my head over that. [happily thumps hand! :)]

EDIT - Aug 11

I have now completed square #1.

I'm quite happy with how it has turned out! It measures around 16 inches x 16 inches. And while I was at this... I ended up with lots of colorful scrap yarns. So I thought, why not make a scrap yarn square too... So here's the granny square that I have made...

The first thing you might notice is... the browns are pooling, that was NOT my intension! But it's okay, I never really had any thing in mind when I started this one, so no regrets. I'm going to keep adding to this square just to see how far I can take it.

I will be taking a break before I begin the next square. I am thinking about how I would attach the lining to the bag. There are 2 options n my mind right now... A) I could make 2 separate squares & sew them on either sides of my lining bag. Or... B) I can join the 2 sides as I am making them and insert the lining in and sew along the top edge alone...

Both options seem quite good to me at this point! I'm still on the lookout for a simple tote bag that can serve as the lining. I'll decide what to do after I choose a tote.

EDIT - Aug 12

Yes! I have found a tote bag that almost perfect-ish...

I had to sew 1.5 inches along each side & 1/2 inch along the bottom. Now it's just the right size!!! Thank God I had my handy little Stitch Sew Quick from SewRite. [It's very similar to this portable mending machine from Singer]


Now I just need to finalize the arrangement of the colors for side 2, then I'll be good to go.

EDIT - Nov 1

The little break I wanted to take ended up being quite long! I got a little busy with  few orders. And along the way I decided to complete a few WIPs! Here's how the last 2 months have been going.

There was a bulk order for baby rattles. 


This granny square baby blanket.


An infant hooded sweater. You can find the pattern here.

And finally, here's my long due WIP that I finally managed to finish.


EDIT - Nov 9

As if lockdown wasn't bad enough, I've been tested positive for Covid! 😒 Since I'm home quarantined now, I'm going to make good use of these next 2 weeks and finish this bag.

EDIT - Nov 10

I've started square #2. I'm randomly just attaching the colors without any colorways.


EDIT - Nov 11

I think I'll go in a spiral from here, cause I need to think about attaching the 2 sides as I go. And as for the colorway, I think I'll just use them in the order they're in.

EDIT - Nov 12 

I've begun joining as I go. One side is almost done. But that was the easy part. From the next square I'll have to join the bottom edge. The angle is going to make it a bit tricky.


EDIT - Nov 13

Today was a productive day. I did 9 squares, that's the most I've done in a day. Looks like it'll be done tomorrow. *happy tears*


EDIT - Nov 14

Yay! It's done. And I'm so happy with the outcome. It's so pretty. I can't wait to flaunt it when the lockdown is lifted.


Here are the 2 sides after I attached the lining.



I'm so so happy with this project, cause when I began I had no expectations on this one.

I hope you guys enjoyed this project. And don't forget to share pics of your works with me.

If you like my content subscribe to My Channel and hit the bell button to get notifications on new tutorials.
Follow @madewithlovebydaisy on Instagram to receive updates on new patterns & giveaways.

Happy Hooking...!
Daisy

Comments