How to create a Crochet Chart using MS PowerPoint...!

In this post I am going to show you all how to turn

this....
Into this...

I've been searching for different options to add Crochet Diagrams/Charts along with my patterns. Most of them require downloading some software and some basic designing knowledge. After lots of experimenting, I leant that all you needed was MS PowerPoint!!! I know right!! The results you get from this are as good as output from Adobe Illustrator. I've tried to add as many pics as I could to make sure it's easy to follow. Enough talking, let's get to work.

Step 1: Draw your diagram completely by hand first.


Draw it fully, how you want your final chart to be. It’s okay if it’s not perfect… For example, I’m going to use a simple circle using dc's for this tutorial. I’ve used a dc instead of the ch3 for the beginning of each row. That’s okay. I just want to have a clear idea of where each stitch needs to be.

Step 2: Make a key

List out all the stitches you will be using for this pattern. Remember not to leave out small details like slip stitch. Draw them out too. For this pattern I need the following (it has 'beginning' cause I made this key for another pattern!)


·        Step 3: Take pics

Take clear/clean pics of your diagram & key. Make sure it’s not blurred or out of focus. Also remember, you want to take the pic from a top angle so the image is straight and perfect.


Step 4: Setting up a new PPT for your chart

Open a new MS PowerPoint file. I am setting the slide to a square, because my pics are squares (30 x 30 cm), so that the 1:1 ratio will be maintained. The reason for this is, if your slide is a rectangle and your pic is a square, the image my be stretched to fit the slide. That would affect how the final chart looks.
You can make your slide any ratio you want, just make sure it’s the same as your pics. Most phones have the option to set pic ratio, so if your pics are 4:3 or 16:9, you can set your slide size in the Page Setup Dialogue Box [Design Tab à Page Setup]. 


If your desired ratio is not mentioned in the drop down box, just enter it manually. 


Add your key as the background in the Format Background Dialogue Box [Right Click à Format Background OR Design Tab à Background Styles à Format Background]. 



In the Format Background Dialogue Box - Fill à Picture or texture fills à File.


Step 5: Using Shapes to create a stitch.

You can find shapes under Insert Tab. 


Using the Line option I’m going to create the dc. Once you draw a shape, the Drawing Tools Format tab becomes available. Don’t freak out if you can’t find it. You need to select a shape to see that tab. 


Using the options under Shape Outline, I’m changing the color to white and making the line thicker so I can see the lines better over the background.



Step 6: Grouping multiple shapes.

Once I’ve drawn the dc using 3 separate lines, select all 3, Group them together using the Group options under the Drawing Tools Format tab.


Once you do this you can move it around like a single object.

Before grouping (3 separate lines)

After grouping (1 single object)

Using Step 6 & 7 finish each shape. 

For chain & Slip Stitch I have used the “oval” shape.

For the dc increase I’ve copy pasted 2 dc’s and rotated them a little. You can rotate it by clicking and dragging on the little green dot that appears when you select it. Once you are happy with the placement, group them too. Now you can move it around like it’s a single shape.
Step 7 – Change BG

Now that we have all the shapes ready, we can change the background to the actual diagram.

Step 8 – Drawing your diagram.

Using the background as a reference, build your chart one stitch at a time. I know this step can be a little time consuming, but trust me… your patience will be rewarded.

You can change your diagram to suit your needs… I started out with the centre as a ch5,
but then I felt it was too crowded and clumsy, so I’m replacing it with a circle with a 5 inside it.

Step 9 – Using the right tools

PowerPoint has various formatting options, use them to your advantage.

The rotation tab has different flip options.
Under More Rotation Options you can even set the angle.


This is how I made round 1 ~
I copy pasted the DC twice, and changed the rotation angle.  Dc 1 – no rotation, DC 2 - 30°, DC 3 - 60°. Once I got my first 3 DCs, I just copy pasted them and flipped them  horizontally and vertically to finish the round. 

Align options are also really useful. 

In case you are doing a pattern that goes back and forth and you need to put 12 stitches in a straight line, you can use the following method. 

Copy paste till you get 12 dcs
Select all and choose "Align Middle".
To space them out, move one dc to the end, where you want your last stitch to be.

Select all and choose "Distribute Horizontally"
See how easy that was. Just keep moving them around and rotating till you are happy with the placement.

Step 10 – Finishing

Once you are satisfied with your chart, select all the objects and change the color to black (or any other color of your preference). You can even use a different color for each row/round.
Once you are done changing colors, group them into one big object. Change the BG to solid white.
If you want to include a key along with your diagram (highly recommended), add them too along with a text box for the type.

Select all your objects & right click à Save as Picture. You can save it in any format you want.

And here's the final image that was saved.

There you go, you have your very own Crochet Chart!!! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions, post them below in the comments section. :) 

Follow @madewithlovebydaisy on Instagram to receive updates on new patterns & giveaways.

Happy Hooking <3

Comments