Single Crochet

In this lesson you will learn how to make a Single Crochet [sc]

I have with me the ch 11 we made in the previous lesson. This is also refered to as the Foundation Chain  [fc]. To make our first sc, we will slip the first chain from the hook.

Step 1 ~ insert hook into 2nd ch from the hook.

Step 2 ~ yarn over [yo]

Step 3 ~ pull up a loop. You will have 2 loops on the hook now.

Step 4 ~ yo

Step 5 ~ draw though both the loops.

Keep working like this in each of the next chains. I have completed the 1st row. I have 10 sc here because we started with a ch 11 & skipped 1 ch in the beginning.

To start the next row, ch 1 and turn your work like this. This ch 1 is called the 'turning chain'. In the 2nd row we can start working from the every first stitch, as the turning chain replaces that skipped ch in the beginning. 

 I have worked 4 rows here.

You can change the appearance of the stitches, by changing where you insert the hook. Here is the top of the fc, there are 2 loops.

At the back of the fc, there is 1 little bump.

In these swatches, in the one on top, I have worked in the 2 loops in the front. In second swatch, I have worked only in the bump in the back. Can you see how the bottom edgw of the stitches looks different? 

The second swatch has a cleaner edge. I prefer this method for necklines and cuffs as it gives a very neat look. 

Even while working in the rows, can create a interesting textures by changing where you insert the hook.  In the pic below, you can see there are 2 loops on top of the stitches.

In this piece, I have worked all stitches in both loops.

You can work only in the back loops as shown below.

Or in the bump just behind the stitch. When you turn your work, the bump will be in front.

Can you see how it has made different textures here? The fisrt 4 rows, I used both loops, the next 6 loops, only the back loops, the last 6 rows, only the bump. It almost looks like a knitted ribbing.
 

I hope you found this tutorial useful. You can find the links to the video tutorials below.

~ Right Handed version ~

~ Left Handed version ~

Keep practising the Single Crochet, and I will see you in the next lesson where we will learn to make a sc increase & decrease. You can find my other tutorials here.

Subscribe to My Channel and hit the bell button to get notifications on new tutorials.
Follow @madewithlovebydaisy on Instagram to receive updates on new patterns & giveaways.

Happy Hooking...!

Comments